The ultimate guide to Japanese graded readers
Japanese graded readers are a great way to improve your reading skills in Japanese. They come in various levels so that you can find the right one for your level of fluency. They also provide a lot of useful vocabulary and grammar points.
This page will cover all the basics of Japanese graded readers, including what they are, why you should use them, and how to get the most out of them in your studies. We'll also recommend some excellent graded reader books for learners of all levels. So, let's get started!
What are Japanese Graded Readers?
Japanese graded readers are books that have been adapted to be within the level of a language learner. They include simplified vocabulary, grammar, and furigana (small hiragana characters next to kanji to show their pronunciation).
Graded readers usually come in 6 levels, from level 0 (for beginners) to level 5 (for advanced learners). As you progress through the levels, the books will become gradually more difficult.
Why use Graded Readers in your language learning?
There are a few reasons why graded readers can be beneficial for language learners:
- They're a great way to practice reading in Japanese: Graded readers can help you build up your reading skills and confidence in Japanese.
- They introduce you to new vocabulary and grammar: Graded readers are a great way to learn new vocabulary and grammar points. You can also look up any words or grammar points that you're not sure of.
- They're usually interesting: Because graded readers are adapted from existing books, they often have interesting stories or topics. This makes them more enjoyable to read than a textbook
- They're a good way to learn kanji: Graded readers often include furigana next to the kanji, which can help you learn how to read and write them.
- They're usually affordable: Graded readers are often quite affordable, especially if you buy them second-hand.
How to choose the right Graded Reader for you?
When choosing a graded reader, it's important to pick one at the right level. If it's too difficult, you'll find it frustrating and might give up. If it's too easy, you won't learn anything new.
The best way to find the right level is to look at the back of the book and check the '読みやすさランク' (readability rank). This ranks from 1 to 6, with one being the easiest and six being the most difficult.
If you're unsure what level to start at, it's always better to start with a level 0, 1, or 2 books and work your way up.
The best ways to use Graded Readers in your studies
Once you've chosen a graded reader, it's time to start using it in your studies! Here are some tips on how to get the most out of your book:
- Read it with a Japanese dictionary: Whenever you come across a word or grammar point you're unfamiliar with, look it up in a Japanese dictionary. This will help you understand the book better and learn new words.
- Read out loud: Reading out loud can help you practice your pronunciation and improve your reading fluency.
- Take your time: Don't try to read the whole book in one go. Take your time and read a little bit each day. This will help you understand and remember what you've read better.